Saturday, June 20, 2009

A vacation spot - Canakkale

We are spending this evening in Canakkale, a popular summer vacation spot for the Turkish population. It's nice to be in a relaxed area - it's the first place we have seen men wear shorts! There are many tourists here, and unlike Troy, it is nice and cool due to the water.
This shot is of another replica of the Trojan Horse - this particular replica is popular because this is the one that was used in the movie "Troy" starring Brad Pitt.

This area definitely has a fun, family atmosphere. Check out the cotton candy! Of course, there are also many corn-on-the-cob carts, too!


The water is beautiful. There is no beach; the popular activity is boating.

I went to a restaurant and ordered Turkish coffee -which is not similar in any way to the Starbucks coffee we have at home. It came in the little tiny pitcher, and was very strong. It came with a glass of water and a gelatinous bit that I used as a sugar cube.

One thing that struck me about Canakkale - there are MANY stray cats and dogs, even walking through the outdoor cafes. As I enjoyed my coffee, I had this tiny kitten and her siblings run all around my table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers