Monday, June 22, 2009

Turkish carpet

After the adventure in the high school today, we traveled to a location famous for the Turkish carpets. Here, we could see the moth cocoons with the silk, the wool and cotton being dyed, and also seeing a group of ladies perform amazingly detailed work creating carpets by hand.

This was an event - the owners brought out drinks for us and then proudly showed us the different varieties and styles of carpets. My personal favorite was one made strictly of silk with 500 knots per square inch - and yes, it was $50,000. I then decided I would take the smallest silk one - but that was $3200 and was about 12 inches square, so I thought otherwise!

I did find a small carpet that I will actually use as a wall hanging.

In the tradition of Turkish hospitality, the owner then provided us a delicious lunch. Who knew shopping for one item could take nearly a day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers