Monday, June 29, 2009

Proper attire in Turkey

Before I went on this trip, I was instructed to only bring clothes with long sleeves, long skirts or pants, and a scarf. For most of our trip, we have travelled to areas that are influenced by Westerners (meaning that they dress like we do in America). However, we did hit some areas that were more conservative, especially for the women.
Here is one family we had dinner with. Notice all of the men are wearing long pants.....shorts are never seen. Also notice what the mother is wearing - a head scarf and a very long jacket. We saw a lot of this.


Here are several ladies walking into a mosque. Notice the head scarves and the long jackets.

In this picture, a woman in wearing a burqa - a covering that covers the body from head to toe, only allowing for the face to be shown. Some only allow for eyes to be visible.Here I am in one of the mosques. Notice the long skirt, the long sleeves, no shoes, and the headscarf. I am smiling. I was not smiling after 15 minutes because I was so hot, and I couldn't wait to just get the scarf off of my head. How do these women do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers